Wednesday 8 May 2013

The Moth God Delivers

I set my trap again last night really hoping that after yesterdays fine weather and lots of butterfly activity in the garden (4 new species for the year) I would catch some new moths for the year - and I wasn't disappointed.  Not huge quantity but very good quality including the first Hawk-moth of the year which was very pleasing.  It is in fact the Hawk-moth for the garden (only started garden trapping last year though!) and the kids also really enjoyed seeing it. 

4 new moth species caught for the year; Muslin, Lime Hawk-moth, The Spectacle and Pine Beauty. 
Total now for the garden for 2013 is 25 so slowly catching the leaders up.

Pictures of all new species plus Waved Umber, which was my second for the year but the first one didn't hang around for photos!





Lime Hawk-moth



Muslin (male)

 The Spectacle
 

Pine Beauty
 
 
Waved Umber

Finally a decent night and its a shame the weather has tuned and I'm also away for the next couple of nights surveying for bats and Great Crested Newts - roll on the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment