Saturday 5 October 2013

Hallelujah! Whetstone Vestal at last

Vestal

I've been waiting many years for one of these to turn up in the garden, and with the current nation-wide influx I'd have been especially gutted to miss out again this year. One with pink markings or an overall pink flush would have been especially nice, but I really can't complain. I have seen a fair few Vestals over the years, including one I found at work in Leics. back in 2001 when there was another influx - that one was quite smart ....

Vestal, South Wigston, Leics. October 2001

Also a Waved Umber last night. I have had a few odd things in autumn before, usually something that has a second-brood in the south but not here, but as far as I can tell there is no usual second-brood of Waved Umber even in south UK?

Waved Umber - not a typical autumnal moth

Another highlight was Pale Pinion, making this the first year that I've recorded both Pale and Tawny Pinions and Blair's and Grey Shoulder-knots in the garden - one of the other three British Lithophane spp. would be most welcome!

Pale Pinion

Otherwise more expected autumnal species continue to appear, though there are not too many expected species left to go. I'm now on 433sp. and can't see me pushing too far beyond 440.

Taxon Vernacular Date Added
426 Aporophyla nigra Black Rustic 29/09/2013
427 Nomophila noctuella Rush Veneer 04/10/2013
428 Acleris sparsana
04/10/2013
429 Lithophane hepatica Pale Pinion 04/10/2013
430 Epirrita dilutata agg. November Moth agg. 04/10/2013
431 Rhodometra sacraria Vestal 04/10/2013
432 Conistra ligula Dark Chestnut 04/10/2013
433 Agrochola macilenta Yellow-line Quaker 04/10/2013

Black Rustic

Juniper Carpet

Barred Sallow

Green-brindled Crescent ab. capucina

Dark Chestnut

Rush Veneer

Acleris sparsana

Yellow-line Quaker

November Moth (probably)

1 comment:

  1. That makes me the only one who hasn't had a Vestal this year, Nice catch, the Juniper is also welcome at The Dells

    ReplyDelete